Is it legal to sublease an apartment without letting the landlord know?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to sublease an apartment without letting the landlord know?

In the contract it says to circle if they need written consent but nothing s circled. Also, if the landlord does not have any paperwork about the sublease, can I kick the people who are subleasing the apartment out?

Asked on August 25, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are wise to carefully read your lease as to whether or not you are allowed to sub-lease your apartment in that its terms and conditions control the obligations you owe the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflciting state law.

Since your written lease's provision concerning sub-leasing of your unit requires written consent if that provision is circled and it is not on your document, then it appears that you have every right to sub-lease your unit without your landlord's consent.

If you sub-lease your apartment out (preferably through a written document) and your sub-tenant does not honor the agreement with you, you have every right to evict him or her as your landlord would have the right to evict you if you materially breached your own lease.

Good question.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption