Is it legal to secretly videotape a minor at work and release it on the internet without their knowledge?

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to secretly videotape a minor at work and release it on the internet without their knowledge?

I’m a minor and some people recorded me at my job as a prank and put it on the internet. My name tag showed my full name and I found out when one of their friends told me but won’t release the site it’s on or who the people are. Is this legal and can I go to the police?

Asked on August 28, 2011 Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking,minors can not be videotaped without the consent of their parents or guardians.  That is the general rule.  Now, it seems to me that it was not your employer that permitted this nor probably sanctioned it but he or she needs to be notified of it asap.  And should you report it to the police?  Well, you should report it to your parents who should report it to the police.  And who should approach your employer about safety, etc.  There are really many issues here. There are certain expectations of privacy and there are certain exceptions to these expectations.  Being on private property certainly gives you an expectation.  Being on public property not as much.  And what exactly was posted will have an impact here. Ther are safety issues too.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption