Is it legal to remarry in the US while being still married in another country?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to remarry in the US while being still married in another country?

I’m German and married an American woman according to German law. She than got an annulment in CA which is not accepted here in Germany. So here we are still married. Now she married again in CA. Is that legal?

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Family Law, California


Bernie Kempen / Kempen&Company

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless there were problems with service of process on you in accordance with the Hague International Service Convention, her CA annulment should be recognized in Germany because there is a comity between nations to give full faith and credit to the court orders of foreign countries. If your marriage was valid in Germany, Califonia has jurisdiction to dissolve it, if CA appropriate obtained personal jurisdiction over you. If so then yes, her new marriage is legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption