Is it legal to receive mail at an address that you have never lived at?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to receive mail at an address that you have never lived at?

I have a male tenant that I rent a room to. His female friend has received some mail at that address. Can I bar her from coming to that address?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is completely legal to receive mail at an address you have never lived at--there is no requirement that a person reside at his or her mailing address. (If there was, no one living with a significant other at the other's home could ever get mail; P.O. Boxes would be illegal; and commercial stores that rent boxes to receive mail for their customers would also be illegal.)

If  the lease gives you the right to stop her from getting mail at this address, you may enforce that term; but if there is no term in the lease preventing this, you have no right to impose another term or condition on the rental. For the future, you can add this to your lease terms if you feel strongly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption