Is it legal to raffle off real estate?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to raffle off real estate?

Asked on September 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately it is not legal to just raffle off your home or other real estate (or personal property for that matter). An individual cannot have a legal raffle without a charity involved.  You will have to designate a charity that will receive any proceeds over that which you are asking for the property.  

In other words, the non-profit can then raffle off your house and you'll get a tax deduction but not the cash.  As a general rule, nonprofit, tax-exempt entities are churches, schools, civic organizations, or related support groups; and nonprofit organizations qualified under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code.

You'll need to meet with a representative of that charity and explain what you are doing and how you will go about donating the proceeds. Since this can all get a little complicated you may want to meet with an attorney to help you get you started.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption