Is it legal to make employees work a full year without any paid time off?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to make employees work a full year without any paid time off?

Working a 35 hour work week.

Asked on December 30, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are working 35 hours per week and are being paid for your time by your employer, there is no requirement under any law that an employer is required to give an employee any time off from work with pay. Time off from work with pay by an employer is a benefit given by the employer.

If your employer has chosen to have you work straight hours without any time off with pay for vacation or holidays then there is nothing illegal about the situation that you are writing out. You are required to your normal hourly wage up to 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week. Any hours above that is typically paid at your state's overtime rate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption