Is it legal to make an employee pay for damages to a homeowner’s property while employee is working on that property?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to make an employee pay for damages to a homeowner’s property while employee is working on that property?

My employer is going to take damage to a homeowners floor out of my pay. I was working on the furnace at the time. Just want to know if it is legal for him to do this? We signed no agreement to this effect.

Asked on March 3, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) No, the employer may not legally take the money out of your pay unless you agree to let them do this, and if they do, you could sue them for the money.
2) However, if your employer believes you have cost it money or cost a customer money and will not make good the loss, they may terminate you.
3) If you did do damage and cost either your employer or the homeowner money, the one who lost money could sue you for their loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption