Is it legal to get a parking ticket in the mail, without an officer as witness?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to get a parking ticket in the mail, without an officer as witness?

I received a parking ticket in the mail, but not on my vehicle. Is it legal, in Florida, to
get a ticket without an officer being present for the parking violation? I believe
someone took pictures of my car and reported me.

Asked on October 19, 2017 under General Practice, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal: there is no legal requirement that an officer personally witness the offense in order to write a ticket; he or she can rely on credible (reliable or believable) evidence, such as a photograph. After all, people can be charged with murder or theft without an officer being present to see it; why would it be harder to write  parking ticket than charge someone with a potentially capital crime (or at least one with years in jail).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption