Is it legal to divide a water/sewer bill among the tenants?

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to divide a water/sewer bill among the tenants?

At signing we assumed we had our own meter.

Asked on December 26, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Depending upon the local ordinances in the city of town you reside in, dividing up a water and sewer bill amongst all the tenants for payment may be allowed or not. It all depends upon the local law in place.

I suggest that you contact the local water department as to what the current state of the law is in your community as to individual meters for each rental or not.

My experience is that if all tenants share a common water meter, the landlord pays for the water bill. If each tenant has its own meter for the individual rental, the practice is that the tenant pays his or her own water bill because he or she knows the use based upon the individual meter for the rental.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption