Is it legal to date a 15 year old if I’m a 19 year old?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to date a 15 year old if I’m a 19 year old?

No sex but I don’t want to get in trouble with the law.

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is no illegal to date a 15 year old (a minor) if you are 19 (an adult) if the only thing is dating. The problem arises is there is physical intimacy in any manner between the two of you. The reason is that there are laws against certain intimate contact between an adult and a minor in all states in this country.

There is a significant difference in maturity between a 19 year old and a 15 year old. Later on in life the 4 year difference is not so much of an issue, for example a 27 year old and a 23 year old.

Dating a 15 year old could very well place the 19 year old in a situation with the law that he or she may not want to be in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption