Is it legal in Ohio, to have a dashcam that records audio?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal in Ohio, to have a dashcam that records audio?

Is it legal to have a dashcam that
records audio, when someone else is
driving my car? What if I take my car
to a car mechanic? Can I record audio
from my personal car? Do the employees
have an expectation of privacy inside
/around my car?

Asked on November 1, 2017 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It's not about an expectation of privacy: it's that in your state, at least one person being recorded at any given moment must consent or agree to be recorded. If no one consents, it is the equivalent of wiretapping: a crime. So if you record other persons driving your car or a mechanic, if they do not consent to it, you have committed a criminal act. Note that recording audio is heavily restricted in *all* states, though precise rules vary: that's why security cameras in stores, office buildings, at ATMS, etc. are video only.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption