Is it legal if a dealer sold you a truck as an F-350 but turns out its an F-250?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal if a dealer sold you a truck as an F-350 but turns out its an F-250?

My dad recently bought a Ford truck from a dealer and they sold it to him as an F-350 but once he owned it we looked up the VIN # and it turned out to be a 2002 Ford F-250. He wants to know if this is illegal or legal and if he has to worry about this at all.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Insurance Law, Washington


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not sure which direction you want to go with this.  It's possible that the dealer is guilty of consumer fraud, and you might be able to return the truck and get your money back, if you overpaid for what you actually got.  If you're just concerned about insurance and registration, I'd think it should not be too hard to get your documents corrected.

If you want to pursue this, you should have a local attorney review the paperwork and all of the facts, as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption