Is it legal I work 50 and 60 hours a week and not get paid overtime

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal I work 50 and 60 hours a week and not get paid overtime

I get split to checks from a store
I don’t even work I have worked at
this job for 3 years losing money
it’s hard to know that people will
do this it’s not legal can you
help me

Asked on August 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It depends. Are you an "exempt" or "non-exempt" employee? In other words, are you a professional (i.e. lawyer, doctor, etc), are in in management or a supervisory role or the like? If so, then you are exempt from overtime wage laws and therefore need not be compensated for any hours that you work over 40. If you are not exempt or "non-exempt", then your employer is required to pay you for any hours that you work over 40 in a work week. If you are not being properly compensated then you can file a wage claim with your state's departement of labor and/or consult directly with an employment law attorney in your area.
Here is a link to a site that will help you determine whether or not you are non-exempt:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption