Is it legal for your HOA to charge owners a move out fee when they sell?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for your HOA to charge owners a move out fee when they sell?

I’ve sold my condo and my association wants to charge a move out fee. This
is something they just decided to do in the past year. I cannot justify paying
anything to move out a sofa, a bed and a dresser, I’ll be out in probably 20
minutes. Can I leave without paying a fee?

Asked on January 6, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Look to the HOA agreements and other documents empowering, estabishing, regulating, etc. the HOA. If those documents give the HOA the power to do this, they can, no matter how unfair it is, assuming that they followed all the rules or requirements (e.g. if it required an HOA resolution or new HOA rules to be put out, they did so properly). If the documents don't empower them to do this, or they do, but the HOA did not follow the correct procedures, they can't. It all comes down to what authority the HOA was given and how they exercised it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption