is it legal for them to leave my internal staples in intill all 2 grand is paid off

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

is it legal for them to leave my internal staples in intill all 2 grand is paid off

yes i had surgery 9 months ago the Doctor said he would remove the staples after
6 months but now they are causing problems and he refuses to take them out till
all my bill is paid up even though i been paying with a payment plan

Asked on May 23, 2016 under Malpractice Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is. A doctor is not required to provide medical services, like staple removal, for free. If you already are in arrears (owe him money) for $2,000, even if you have payment plan, he does not need to "lend" you more money or risk nonpayment by doing an additional procedure for which he may not be paid in full, or may be paid only in the future. He is entitled to say that since you still owe him money, he will not do additional work for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption