Is it legal for my roommate who is also my landlord, to move her boyfriend into the house without speaking to the other tenants?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for my roommate who is also my landlord, to move her boyfriend into the house without speaking to the other tenants?

I have spoken to my landlord many times regarding the peaceful enjoyment clause of the lease, and yet still there has been nothing done. I recorded our conversation once and she agreed that yes it was too loud. And now, she has given her boyfriend a key to the house where she (landlord) and 4 tenants live without telling any of the tenants. I mean we all had background checks, and now he can move in without speaking to any of us? When I signed the lease I signed up to live with 4 girls – not 4 girls and her boyfriend.

Asked on December 29, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You say that your landlord yourself lives there, too--if so, then she can most likely do this. That's because in that case, you are not leasing the whole house from the landlord (in which case, she would have no right to herself use it, or put someone else into it), but are non-exclusively leasing space in it. Since the way you and the others are leasing is non-exclusive, and the landlord herself lives there, she is free to put her boyfriend into any space in the house which is not itself specifically leased by someone (i.e. she can't move him into a tenant's room).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption