Is it legal for my landlord to keep my deposit for a fine on the property?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for my landlord to keep my deposit for a fine on the property?

There is a fine placed on the property because I did not renew my lease through the HOA. I renewed my lease with the property manager 9 months ago and 5 months later the owner contacted us threatening to kick us out and that we owe $1000 for not renewing with HOA. I spoke with HOA and they said it is the owners responsibility to pay because he let us stay there with an expired lease as far as HOA knows. He wants to keep the deposit because he had to pay the fine. Is this legal for him to keep the deposit?

Asked on June 26, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It is legal if the lease states (as many do) that if the landlord incurs any costs or has to pay any amounts due to the actions of the tenant, then the landlord may recover those amounts from the tenant and that such additional amounts are considered "additional rent." In this case, by lease, you agreed that the landlord can get reimbursed for the cost of any fines; and because the fines are considered "additional rent," the security deposit, which can be used for unpaid rent as well as for damage to the unit, may be debited for the fines.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption