Is it legal for my employer to share my Fmla information with just any other employee?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for my employer to share my Fmla information with just any other employee?

1st I’m on intermittent Fmla for my daughter with a serious health condition
In a meeting with my employer HR I was asked if I would resign because when I’m
out of the office my boss has more to do.
Then today my administrator shared my Fmla information and discussed how many
days I have used with an employee during their evaluation. This employee is not a
supervisor In a need to know basis. Is this legal.

Asked on June 1, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the employee is one who has to (or will have to, in the future) cover for your absence, compensate for your absence, do some of your work, etc. then it was proper to do this: your FMLA leave and absences are relevant to that other employee's job and so is information that may be shared with them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption