Is it legal for my 16 yo daughter to be held and questioned without a parent or atty present? And not be able to see a judge for 4 days?

UPDATED: May 16, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 16, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for my 16 yo daughter to be held and questioned without a parent or atty present? And not be able to see a judge for 4 days?

My daughter,16 yoa,Texas, was detained for allegedly possessing a con subst (2nd Degree Felony b/c on school prop). She was questioned by campus police (don’t know if Mirandized) then taken to juv detention. This was 5/14/09 approx 12 and I have been unable to see her and won’t until tom 5/16/09. I was only allowed to speak to her for 5 minutes on the phone this am, 5/15/09. They have asked her several questions, including psych evals. And they’ve made her take a urine analysis, which came back clean, without permission.Wanted me to sign releases for med, said no.Is any of this legal?

Asked on May 16, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You need to talk to a criminal attorney in your area who is familiar with the juvenile justice system.  One place you can find the lawyer you need would be our website,

Whether what the police did was within the law or not, and what you might be able to do about it, will depend on the detailed facts of the case, and each case is different.  Of course, the "facts" can sound very different, between your daughter's version and what the police have to say.  You need a lawyer here, not just to understand how the law applies to the facts, but to ferret out the real facts, the truth, from what different people are saying.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption