Is it legal for an F1 visa holder to get a referral bonus, which will be reflected in tax form, from a leasing office?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for an F1 visa holder to get a referral bonus, which will be reflected in tax form, from a leasing office?

I am an international student with an F-1 visa. It is illegal for me to work and make money off campus? I have been offered a referral bonus by a leasing office for

reffering a friend. New Link Destination
get the money I have to provide my SSN and I have to fill certain tax forms. Is this money considered as income? Is it illegal for me to get the money?

Asked on October 10, 2018 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I think it is fine for you to get this because it is not something that you actually worked for; it is more like a reward for referring a friend.  It is fine to receive this.  But make sure it is noted in the check what the actual reason for the money is and keep documentation of it in case you need to present it later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption