Is it legal for employers not to tell you your supervisor is a sex offender?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for employers not to tell you your supervisor is a sex offender?

I was working at price rite 6 months even got employee of the month never missed a day or called out then I found out my supervisor is a level 2 sex offender for minor under the age of 14 higher up didn’t care about my concerns so I walked out now I can’t find a job due to them giving me a bad references.

Asked on August 25, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is perfectly legal: there is no law requiring an employer to tell employees about any criminal background, including sex offenses, of any other employees. The law simply does not impose that obligation (to inform employees of  their coworkers's past offenses) on employers. Therefore, they did not have to tell you this, and can give you a bad reference for walking out on your job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption