Is it legal for an insurance company to charge me for backdated premiums for life insurance?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for an insurance company to charge me for backdated premiums for life insurance?

My insurance company sent me a bill stating that I owed them for backdated premiums? I’ve been paying the same monthly payment for the policy I selected and don’t understand why I now owe them backdated amounts.

Asked on February 14, 2012 under Insurance Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you are being sent back dated premium invoices concenring life insurance premiums, I would call a representative of your insurance carrier to ascertain why you are receiving them. If the explanation is not acceptable, I would then contact your state's department of insurance and speak to a representative as to the situation you are in and the lack of an adequate explanation to you by your insurance carrier.

Your state's department of insurance regulates insurance carriers and investigates claims by consumers such as you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption