Is it legal for an employer to enact new policy without notification to employees?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for an employer to enact new policy without notification to employees?

We already do not get paid sick pay, but now if we call in sick and come back to work without a doctor’s excuse, they lower our pay for the entire week to minimum wage. So if I work all week and miss Friday the whole past worked week my wages are lowered. We have a clock in and out system and they change our time to lower our hours. Is that legal?

Asked on November 6, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can enact a new policy without prior notification to employees.
They cannot retroactively lower pay, but they can do going forward. So say you work Mon. and Tues; miss Wed., then work Thur. and Fri. You'd have to get your regular pay for Monday and Tuesday, since you did that work before missing Wed., but they could, when you come in Thurs, say that you will work Thurs and Friday at minimum wage because you missed Wed.
They cannot your hours: that is against the labor laws, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption