Is it legal for an 18 year old to have a non-sexual relationship with a 16 year old in the state of PEnnsylvania

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for an 18 year old to have a non-sexual relationship with a 16 year old in the state of PEnnsylvania

I am in a relationship that is non sexual so I
was wondering is it legal or illegal in the
state of PA

Asked on April 24, 2019 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There are no laws regulating non-sexual friendships or relationships among 16 and 18 year olds. That said, remember that 16-year old is a minor and under his/her parents' control. The 16-year old's parents could order him/her to not see you, and have the authority to prevent him or her from doing so. They could press charges for trespassing or harassment against you, if you go to their house or keep contacting their family after they tell you to not do so. So if there is parently opposition to this, you would be better off not pursuing or continuing the relationship.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption