Is it legal for a minor to go somewhere with an adult without parental supervision but with the parents’ consent?

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a minor to go somewhere with an adult without parental supervision but with the parents’ consent?

I am 16 years old and my boyfriend is 24 years old. With my parents consent, is it legal for us to go places together as long as we abide by curfew laws?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is legal for a minor to go places with a trusted adult who is not the minor's parent so long as there has been parental consent to do so. Many times minors are placed in the custody of non-parents with the parents' consent.

Examples are grandchildren with the grandperants, nieces and nephews with thair aunt or uncle and so forth. With respect to your question, there is nothing illegal to go somewhere with your 24 adult boyfriend with your parents' consent so long as you two obey all laws of the state that you are in including, but not limited to curfew laws.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption