Is it legal for a manager or area manager to seek retribution against employees who notified HR about not getting paid?

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a manager or area manager to seek retribution against employees who notified HR about not getting paid?

Can employees take legal action against the manager and the company? What about contacting the local Department of Labor?

Asked on December 20, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In many states in this country (if not all), it is against the law for a manager for the employer to penalize employees of the employer who notified human resources about not getting paid. I would then advise human resources about the renewed problem with the manager and have it documented.

After consulting with human resources, you can speak with your local labor department about the problems if human resources is not responsive. Another option is to consult with a labor attorney. If you want to take legal action against the manager, you might have a case. As to the employer, if the employer is responsive to your needs, you really do not have a basis to bring a legal action against the employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption