Is it legal for a landlord to pass along to tenants the land county and city taxes?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a landlord to pass along to tenants the land county and city taxes?

I rent a trailer lot. The property has recently changed hands and the new landlord has been passing along fees that the previous landowner paid. First came the water bill, which is park-wide as there are no individual water meters tied to the individual trailer lots. Now he is passing along the city and county taxes on the home I live in. He has also passed along the new deposit for water/sewer since he had to sign one since he bought the land I rent. What are his fees to pay and what are mine from a legal standpoint?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In order to answer your question, you need to carefully read your presumed written lease that you have for the unit you have. The lease controls the obligations you owe the landlord and vice versa. If the lease does not state that you are not responsible for county and city taxes, you are not responsible for the payments for these costs.

As to the water/sewer deposit, whether you are responsible for the costs, your written lease will state whether you are or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption