Is it legal for a judge to drug test you if you are in court for a failure to register a vehicle?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a judge to drug test you if you are in court for a failure to register a vehicle?

I was In court for failure to register vehicle. I got up to go to bathroom and the judge then said, “Drug test him”.

Asked on February 19, 2016 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A judge can implement orders that are reaonably related to the offense.  I seems a stretch to require a drug test for an offense that is in no way related to the use of drugs or alcohol.  As such, he probably exceeded the scope of his authority by requiring you to submit to a drug test.  If you would like some accountability for his illegal search of your body, then you would need to visit a civil rights attorney to file a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption