Is it legal for a company to withholdsalary as a punishmentfor not attending a meeting?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a company to withholdsalary as a punishmentfor not attending a meeting?

Asked on August 5, 2011 Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not legal for one's employer to withhold one's paycheck directly or indirectly purposefully as a form of punishment, in your example, not attending a meeting. One's paycheck is earned. An employer cannot arbitrarily withhold one's pay as a punishment.

There are laws against such a practice in many states. If your direct deposit check was withheld because you did not attend a meeting, you should first have a meeting with your direct supervisor about what happened and then your company's human resources department to set a record over the event and make a formal complaint. If your grievances are not adequately addressed at this point, you should consider making a complaint with your local labor department over the incident.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption