Is it legal for a 17 year old to be in a relationship with a 15 year old?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a 17 year old to be in a relationship with a 15 year old?

From what I understand it would be legal.

Asked on September 17, 2015 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In many states, MN among them, exceptions to statutory rape laws have been enacted. Their are known as "Romeo and Juliet" laws. They protect young people from criminal charges resulting from consensual sexual activity.
In MN, for children between the age 13, 14 or 15, people who are not more than 2 years older cannot be prosecuted for sexual penetration and people who are within in 4 years in age and not in a position of authority cannot be prosecuted for less serious sexual conduct. So, for example, a 17-year-old who has sex with a 15-year-old cannot be prosecuted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption