Is it illegal to take peoples pictures from thier facebook accounts and share it elsewhere?

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it illegal to take peoples pictures from thier facebook accounts and share it elsewhere?

Someone took my pictures from my facebook and is editing them and spreading them in the internet. What are my rights?

Asked on December 26, 2011 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Most likely a civil wrong has occurred withy respect to someone taking your photographs from your facebook account and spreading them over the internet. Possibly a criminal wrong may have resulted as well depending upon the state where the person who is doing the acts resides.

In order to try and resolve the probelms that you are having about your photographs and to possibly ascertain the identity of the person who has used your photographs from your account, I would contact "Facebook" about the situation to see what it can do to assist you through one of its representatives.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption