Is it illegal to have a policy at a Spa/Salon that children under the age of 10 are not allowed?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it illegal to have a policy at a Spa/Salon that children under the age of 10 are not allowed?

We have a large spa that has a no children policy. We turned away a client and her crying 6 month old today for services,and she is claiming discrimination.

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Business Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your business has a legitimate reason for not being able to provide services to children under the age of 10 years then there is no discrimination based upon age. In fact, many retirement communities have age settings for people of 55 years of age or more to be residents and those have been held to not be in violation of the law.

With respect to your spa and saloon, I see nothing wrong concerning a refusal to provide services to people under the age of 10 years from what you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption