Is it illegal for a car insurance company to give information about me to someone on the street.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it illegal for a car insurance company to give information about me to someone on the street.

My car insurance was canceled and my grandfather went in to the ins company to see if my license was suspended and the owner took my file up and gave my grandfather all kinds of info and now I am without a place to live because he caused all kinds of problems with my mother who I currently live with.

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Insurance Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It was poor judgment on the part of the insurance company to release that information to your grandfather.  I think that you concern is a violation of your privacy rights.  There seem to have been damages in the form of your lost housing.  The "all kinds of info" reference is what causes me to think that you should speak with an attorney about this.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption