Is it hard to get someone who my dad has guardianship over to live somewhere else?

UPDATED: Apr 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it hard to get someone who my dad has guardianship over to live somewhere else?

He doesn’t want to live here, he’s almost being neglected by my step-mom.

Asked on April 20, 2011 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your question is very nerve wracking to me.  Is the ward a minor?  The whole idea of guardianship is to make sure that a person is cared for when their natural guardians  - mother and father - are not around.  Does he have any other living relative that he is somewhat close to that would take him in?  If he does then he should approach them about his living situation and indicate a desire to be with them instead. Then the other adult can either approach your Father about giving up his rights voluntarily or if he will not, then taking him to court to have the guardianship terminated and to have a new guardian appointed.  I urge you both to get help from an adult that you trust - teacher, school counselor, family member, Pastor - whomever.  Good luck to you both.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption