Is it against the law to view a videotape from a car accident without the other party or a police officer present?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it against the law to view a videotape from a car accident without the other party or a police officer present?

I was hit by another driver in the parking lot of a hamburger chain. He is an employee there. He has viewed the videotape of the accident without myself or a police officer there. I just need to find out if that is tampering with evidence or against the law.

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Accident Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written I see nothing wrong for a person to view a videotape of a car accident without the other party of a police officer present under the laws of all states in this country. The issue is whose videotape depicts the accident. If it is some third party's tape, there is nothing at all wrong in reviewing it regardless of who is present or not for the viewing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption