Is it a legal document If my parents put my name on the deed of their house without my permission or signature?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it a legal document If my parents put my name on the deed of their house without my permission or signature?

They were mistakenly advised to do this to to try and avoid inheritance issues. But I never consented or signed any document of acceptance and wonder if this would be recognized as legal?

Asked on June 29, 2015 under Real Estate Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Putting someone's name on a deed in order to convey a gift is not automatically illegal.  There are different types of deeds, and there is a type of estate planning deed which allows someone to put another person's name on a deed and the property will only pass to that person on the granting person's death. 

If your parents are putting your name on a deed as part of their estate planning... it's okay.  If they are putting you name on a deed trying to encumber you such that you would be liable for a mortgage or other debt on the property, then this is not legal because it's an attempt to bind some illegal to an obligation they have not accepted. 

To really know what kind of deed they used and it's effect (short term and long term) on you, take a copy of th deed to an attorney that specializes in estate planning.  If they see the actual document, they can provide you more specific input.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption