Is it a crime to damage a vehicle in a parking lot with yout car door unintentionally?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it a crime to damage a vehicle in a parking lot with yout car door unintentionally?

My spouse accidentally hit another car
with her car door then left the scene.
Is that a crime? Is it a crime if they
claim she was negligent?
Its in ohio in a grocery store lot.
Minor or no damage occurred.

Asked on March 26, 2018 under Accident Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Hit and run (leaving the scene of the accident) is a criminal case.
Negligence is not a criminal matter.  It is a civil case (lawsuit), but most likely there won't be any lawsuit because your wife's auto insurance can pay for the cost of repairs to the other car's door.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption