Is a girlfriend’s income relevant to spousal support?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a girlfriend’s income relevant to spousal support?

My boyfriend and I live together and he is going through a divorce. His wife’s attorney has deposed me asking for my tax return and bank statements. I have no desire to provide this info. Can I be forced to legally?

Asked on June 12, 2011 under Family Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your income could be releveant, because you are living togther. For example, since you are living together, the more you earn, the more of your joint living expenses you could shoulder; therefore, you income directly impacts how much disposable income your boyfriend has, and therefore what he could afford to pay in support.

If the lawyer has subpoened you for a deposition or otherwise used legal process, the attorney can make you testify; because the information is relevant, they can request it from you using legal processes and compel you to be deposed. If you're resistant to or worried about disclosing this informaiton, retain a lawyer who may be able to exclude some of it on various grounds (too sensitive, confidential, or personal; implicates personal information of uninolved third parties; etc.).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption