Is failure to report an accidentand hit and run the same?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is failure to report an accidentand hit and run the same?

My mother hit another vehicle driving my truck. She has no driver’s license and did not report the accident. The owner of the other vehicle reported the accident the next morning and filed a report. A couple days later, she was arrested for, driving without a license and failure to report an accident. They set bail and she was released and she now has to appear in court on Monday. This morning I got a letter from a hit and run investigator stating I need to come in. Is hit and run and failure to report accident the same thing? And what should I be expecting from this meeting?

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Accident Law, Tennessee


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for submitting your question regarding understanding “hit and run” and failure to report an accident tickets and citations.  You should be aware that “hit and run” and failure to report an accident charges and penalties can vary from state to state.  Some states attach much stricter penalties to individuals convicted of these allegations.

As you were wondering, failure to report an accident is also referred to as “Hit and Run.” If you, or a person who had permission to drive your vehicle, were involved in an accident, whether the charges at the time are unjustifiable or not, the police will charge crimes like failure to report an accident (also known as a “hit and run”, failure to give insurance information, and possibly other similar charges. Each violation can cause a high number of points to be attached to your driving history. Obviously if the driver was operating a vehicle with no insurance and left the scene of an accident, the penalties could be of a more serious nature.  Sometimes a conviction can lead to the application of excessive points on your driver’s license. Other times, the court may allow a kinder penalty of community service, along with attached fines and court costs.  Usually when a person is charged with these crimes and has counsel assisting with negotiating the penalties, the offender is more likely to get a lighter sentence.  Police officers who write these citations will appear in court with witness statements that support the officer’s charges.  Since you are being investigated for these charges, because your vehicle was involved in the accident, you may feel more comfortable speaking with an attorney in your area that is familiar with these charges. 

If you still have concerns regarding the current charges or need more information as what can be expected during an investigated by the police for failing to report an accident/ “hit and run”, contact a “hit and run” lawyer in your area that will know the particulars in your state for these citations and also the possible penalties attached to these tickets. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption