Is Experience letter from my previous company a mandatory document for processing my Green card?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is Experience letter from my previous company a mandatory document for processing my Green card?

I am going to quit my current employer. I am associated with them for 9.3 years.
I was informed that I will not be given any experience letter. Now I am planning
to file my GC in future and I got to know that experience letter is one of the
required document. So question is…If I am not given the experience letter then
will I not be able to file my GC through my next employer where I am going to
join shortly? Please note that I am on H1B.

Asked on April 7, 2017 under Immigration Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Whether you need the letter or not, it is NOT mandatory on the prior employer to provide it: the law does not require an employer to provide any information, documentation, etc. for an employee, or any assistance whatsoever to an employee. You will need to find some other way to accomplish what you need to do, if the employer chooses to not provide this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption