Is ex in contempt of court order

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is ex in contempt of court order

5 years after divorce I discovered she is still on my home title. We bought two homes each in our own names when we were married and we were both awarded 100 our own homes in our final divorce decree. I only added her to my title when I first purchased my home 11 years ago as a beneficiary because my only son was not of age. I am trying to take out small equity loan for home improvements and the process has been stopped because she will not sign off Title. When we were married she invested her money in property and lost it, I felt bad and told her I would pay back some of the loss when I sell my home, which is not mentioned in final divorce decree and never filed, only on a notarized letter dated 2014. She will not sign Title to my home until I pay her for her loss, I have no plans on selling. In your professional opinion can the Judge make her sign title to my home after I was awarded 100?

Asked on July 28, 2019 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Courts have the power to enforce their own judgments and orders--including the award of this home to her. So yes, the court that issued this award can force her to sign title over and comply with the judgment/award. Consult with a famly law attorney about the most efficient and expeditious way to enforce your award.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption