Is Ex in contempt of court if he fails to transfer debts?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is Ex in contempt of court if he fails to transfer debts?

Divorce was final almost a year ago, and ex husband has failed to transfer or refinance debts for vehicle and property awarded to him in the decree. He’s also not making regular payments, and is avoiding things like toll bills for that vehicle, leaving the account in my name and racking it up. These things are tanking my credit and I recently was notified that the toll bill is prosecutable. By not transferring ownership as outlined in the divorce decree and/or paying these bills, is he in contempt of court?

Asked on August 14, 2017 under Family Law, Alaska


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your ex-husband is in contempt of court for failure to comply with the terms of your divorce decree.
In order to pursue contempt of court against him, file an Order to Show Cause to schedule a hearing.  Call the court clerk for a hearing date.  In addition to the Order to Show Cause, file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your contempt of court claim.  You should also file other documents that provide supporting evidence of your claim.  Include a proof of service with the documents you file with the court and mail a copy of your court-filed documents and proof of service to your ex or if he has an attorney, to the attorney.  The proof of service confirms the date of mailing.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk for the required documents needed to pursue a contempt of court claim because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption