Is an employer responsible for an employee’s legal costs?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is an employer responsible for an employee’s legal costs?

A company has filed a civil complaint against a competing company, naming the company itself, its owner, and an employee. If the employee was acting strictly in his capacity as an employee working on behalf his employer, is employer responsible for legal costs employee may incur in defending against the suit?

Asked on July 27, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Maybe; maybe not.  Under a theory of law known as "respondeat superior", an employer can be held to be legally responsible for the actions of its employees if the employee is acting within the "course and scope" of employment. So the employer would cover the employee under their liability insurance.  I would speak with an attorney in your area and give them all the facts.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption