Can an ex-fiance be evicted viaan e-mail?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an ex-fiance be evicted viaan e-mail?

I’m currently living with my ex and we agreed that I could live at the residence as long as I liked. (considering he did not want me to work while we were together). He is falsely accusing me of sleeping with his nephew which I did not do. He has sent me an e-mail stating that I have 7 days before the sheriff remove me and my things. Am I considered to be a guest?

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If your agreement with your former fiance did not include anything resembling rent, for your stay at his home, then I don't think there is a landlord-tenant relationship here.  That makes you, indeed, a guest, and if you are no longer welcome, you would become a trespasser.  Whether or not there is any truth or not, in the reasons why you are not longer welcome, don't matter, because he has no legal duty to allow you to continue living there.

Without a landlord-tenant relationship, the eviction laws don't apply in this situation.  An email is more than enough notice, as far as the law is concerned; he would probably be able to get away with dumping your things on the lawn and changing the locks while you were out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption