What to do about a noisy neighbor?

UPDATED: Apr 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a noisy neighbor?

Neighbor plays his subwoofer loud enough that it vibrates the floor and hard enough to give you a headache.

Asked on April 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

All leases come with what is called the "covenant of quiet enjoyment"--the right of a tenant to enjoy his leased property free from undue  disturbance. This covenant operates against your landlord, and you can force the landlord, if necessary, to take action against others under his or her control (e.g. other tenants) who are disturbing your quiet enjoyment. So you can ask the landlord to intervene, and if the landlord won't take action, could even potentially sue to force him to do so. (The landlord could, for example, seek to evict a tenant for disturbing the peace in many situations.)

Also, if the decible level is high enough, it may constitute a violation of noise ordinances, which the local police could enforce.

You should consult with a local landlord-tenant attorney to discuss the best way of proceeding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption