Is a service contract enforcable for collection

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a service contract enforcable for collection

I signed up for a real estate data service that turned out to be way less than
promised. I sent written and email requests to cancel to Costar and they now want a
full year of payments.

Asked on December 11, 2018 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, ANY type of contract, including a service contract, is something that can be enforced for collections purposes, so they can seek the full year of payments from you (assuming that you signed a one-year contract).
If they committed fraud to get you to sign up--provably lied about some material, or important, facts--that could provide a defense to your obligation to pay: fraud allows you to void (i.e. get out of) a contract. But it would have to be provable lies; your mere dissatisfaction with what you received is not fraud and would not let you out of you payment obligations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption