Is a merchant required by law to provide me with a receipt for his services if I paid for them by check?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a merchant required by law to provide me with a receipt for his services if I paid for them by check?

I hired a mover 2 months ago. The day the job was completed, there was no blank invoice to provide to me. The hired employee wrote the charges down on yellow legal pad and

signed it. I paid him by check. The owner has not provided me with a proper invoice although I have repeatedly contacted him over the last 3 months. I need this paperwork

to complete litigation on the estate for which I am the executor. All of my expenditures must be carefully documented. Do I have any options to forced this guy to provide me with a proper invoice (i.e. letterhead and official address, etc.)?

Asked on October 21, 2016 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no law requiring a formal written invoice. Since there is no obligation to provide an invoice, there is no way to force the merchant to generate own. You have your cancelled check, and from you bank can get further documentation of who deposited it, where; you have the signed yellow legal page--those will have to be enough.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption