Is a lawyer needed for Class 2 trespassing?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a lawyer needed for Class 2 trespassing?

I went past a no trespassing sign at a national monument while on a run, I turned around on my own never even made it to visitors center, stayed on paved road but a cop saw me before I made it out. I live in WA and will have to fly back to AZ for the court date.

Asked on January 29, 2019 under Criminal Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A Class 2 trespass is a misdemeanor, so it is potentially punishable by days, weeks, or even a few months (up to but not more than 90 days) in jail; however, it is much more likely you will receive a fine of a few hundred dollars (maximum is $1,000). Given the facts you describe, a (we presume) otherwise clean record (e.g. you are not a "serial trespasser), and no other charges from that date, a fine is far and away the most likely outcome, with a small chance of a dismissal if the prosecutor is feeling unusually generousl.
A lawyer can't actually help much in a case like this, since the facts are so simple and an officer saw you (i.e. there are not potential illegal stop or search issues to contest). You can probably handle this on your own and save the legal fee (which would likely be $750 - $1,500) for the airfare or fine.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption