What can I do if my insurer won’t cover damages to my car even though I had full coverage?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my insurer won’t cover damages to my car even though I had full coverage?

I had full coverage on my vehicle and my daughter was driving; she stopped at a 4-way stop sign and she was already in the intersection and a big truck rammed into the rear wheel and back driver’s side door. The police were called and the officer didn’t cite the other driver but explained to me the way they put it in the police report as car 1 and car 2, he was car 2 and at fault. He said that’s how the insurance will read it. I had car towed thinking it wouldn’t be a issue and come to find out the2 years before.y wouldn’t cover her because she wasn’t rated even though she had an accident prior to this about 1 1/2 years ago. They would not cover anything so I had to pay $500 out of pocket to get the car released from the collision center. The claims guy said they would try and help see if any places around the accident had cameras but they did nothing for me. The other driver’s insurance company would not cover the damages. They didn’t even do a investigation they didn’t call my daughter or anything just denied they would fix it. It was clearly the other driver’s fault; if my kid pulled out in front of him damages would have been to the front side of my car not rear as she was already in intersection. I am stuck with these damages to my vehicle now and my insurance did nothing for me. Is there anything that I can possibly do?

Asked on July 1, 2017 under Accident Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to hold the other driver responsible, but to do so, you need to sue him: that's how you get money from someone whom you believe was at fault in causing damage to your car or causing you to incur costs. There is no one who will get compensation for you, if you own insurer will not due to the rating issue and the other insurer is refusing to voluntarily pay you. (Unless and until you sue their driver and win in court, any payment by them is voluntary--so they could choose to not offer you anything.) To get compensation, you would need to prove in court, such as with the use of the accident report and by calling the police officer(s) to testify (you'd have to subpoena them), as well as your and your daughter's testimony and any photographs of the damage, that the other driver was at fault; if you can do that, you can get a court judgment requiring the other driver to pay for the costs and damage you can prove (e.g. with estimates, bills, etc.) they caused. You sue the driver, not his insuer, even though his insurer may provie an attorney for him and pay for any amounts he is found to have to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption