What to doregarding an accident someone had with your uninsured car?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to doregarding an accident someone had with your uninsured car?

I recently received a claim notice from a car insurance company. The incident was not my fault. My fiance took my car unknowingly and hit another vehicle and left the scene. I am at a loss since I do not have car insurance as of yet (the vehicle has been practically undriveable since the time of purchase and I have been working on making the repairs which has set me back quite alot of money.) I understand that I am responsible since the car is in my name but I am not sure how to go about rectifying this situation. I do not want to go to court.

Asked on October 14, 2010 under Accident Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You absolutely need to seek legal help from an attorney in your area.  What you are basically stating is that is a "non-permissive use" case and that your fiance "stole" the vehicle.  Did you report it as stolen?  That will be an issue here.  Also, had he driven it before, where did you leave the keys, did he have his own set of keys - all of these questions need to be answered before the law will allow you to rely on that defense.  And if you do not go to court then a judgement will be issued against you for the damage.  You may even have to implead - bring in to the suit - your fiance.  Please see an attorney for help.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption